Waiting for the real spring to come over I’ve spent some time and created few flowers using the technique called folded rose. The pattern and inspiration was the book I’ve already mentioned here, in some earlier post.
It is not difficult to make it. I used the kind of fabric that once folded was a bit tough to stitch it. The top of my fingers hurt a bit now because of pushing the needle was not an easy job. I consider buying a special tool to make my life easier…
Well, going back to the tutorial, here are today’s actors:
1. You need: fabric, scissors, needles, pins, thread, tailoring meter or anything that can help you to measure, tailors chalk
2. Measure 10 x 110 cm stripe and cut along of the fabric piece. Here I cut 2 different coulours as I plan to create 2 flowers:
3. Take the stripe and fold in both long sides that way that they meet at the center of the stripe. To keep them folded you either iron it or you can pin it for a while:
4. Twist the stripe at 45 degrees angles till the end of the stripe.
In this case I used some pins to help the fabric to stay folded:
6. When the whole stripe is folded, we can start to stitch it. We start to stitch along with one short side and continue with a long side:
After all it’s stitched you can start to gather tightly the fabric:
7. At this point you are almost done and start to form the rose:
You can choose to leave it like this or you can add a bead in the center. Sew it on the back carefully to catch all the layers but to still keep the shape of the flower. Then you apply a brooch pin and that’s all! Voila, here it is a yellow rose! Enjoy!